I love to read and I have had the pleasure of reading several this past year. Here’s what I can remember that I read (and recommend):
1. Hunger for God – John Piper
2. Practice of the Presence of God – Brother Lawrence
3. True Spirituality – Francis Schaeffer
4. A Jonathan Edwards Reader by Jonathan Edwards (edited by John E. Smith, et al.)
5. 12 Ordinary Men by John MacArthur
6. Traveling Light by Max Lucado
7. God is the Gospel by John Piper – this is one that I’m currently reading and will finish it before or just after the new year.
1. Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis
2. William Tyndale: A Biography by David Daniell
3. Confessions of St. Augustine
– As a side note, I’m not good at finishing biographies. I tend to get lost in the details and lay it aside to finish later. That having been said, I did not finish any of the above 3 (though am still working through the Confessions) but plan to finish this next year – I don’t know if I’ve ever finished a biography. I have one on Joe Dimaggio that I’ve worked half-way or more through, enjoyed, but haven’t gone back to finish. Oh, well.
– Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson (since I have 2 boys now)
1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen (okay, so I’m still working on this one – I’ll finish it before or just after the new year)
2. Playing for Pizza by John Grisham
3. The Chase by Clive Cussler
I probably read another Cussler book, but I forget the dates when I read them and such. Besides, a work of fiction can be read through pretty quickly, so it’s quite possible that I’ve forgotten one or two – I suppose they weren’t that great or I would remember them, right?
– The Backpacker’s Handbook, 1st Edition by Chris Townsend
Readings that I don’t recommend:
1. The Shack by William Paul Young (see review post)
2. Memory of Running by Ron McLarty – I read this sometime in the not-too-distant-past, so I’m going to include it here. It wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t a great book. The main character isn’t a role model, but does seem to grow as the book goes along. It’s an interesting read, but I can’t say I’d recommend it. Not bad/not good.
What have you read this year that you would recommend or not recommend? I’m working on a 2009 list and want to know about some good books to read!