There’s nothing inherently different in a new year. One day in our town is not too dissimilar to the next. Replacing the now outdated calendar on the kitchen wall doesn’t really affect our lives, does it?
Humanity exists in time. We know no other reality. When days, weeks, and years change we are given the opportunity to change as well. Recently, I spent some time in Jude and thought the following to be appropriate wisdom for the church for 2010:
1. Build yourself up in your most holy faith (vs. 20).
2. Pray in the Holy Spirit (vs. 20).
3. Keep yourself in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of Jesus that leads to eternal life (vs. 21).
4. Have mercy on those who doubt (vs. 22).
5. Save others by snatching them out of the fire (vs. 23).
6. To others show mercy with fear, hating even the garment stained by the flesh (vs. 23).
Jude offers sage wisdom for the new year in which we will encounter many old problems: Brothers, keep on keeping-on…